Thursday, February 24, 2005

Name That Icon

Who said this:
"I know there are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviours of rock'n'roll and all that, but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from," he wrote, adding, “I wouldn't even think about playing music if I was born in these times... I'd probably turn to something like mathematics. That would interest me. Architecture would interest me. Something like that."

And the answer? If you said "Bob Dylan," you would have been right.

After reading this, via the good guys at donewaiting.com, I thought it might be a good time to see just what groups are at the tops of the charts right now.

The "groups" that are in the top ten of the album charts are Green Day (#2), 3 Doors Down (#6), and Maroon 5 (#9). Of these three bands, the only one that I can conceive at all as having been hailed as something like the "saviors of rock and roll" is the one without a number in their name, though whoever would make such a claim should probably swear off writing and/or talking about music. And who is number one? That's right, kids. Ray Charles is number one.

As for the singles charts, there's Green Day once again with "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" at number two... And the only other group in the top ten is a hip hop trio called Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz-- and I'm pretty sure this is not who Dylan had in mind.

My point in all this? I don't know. I love Dylan-- his music, ascerbic wit, and his general freakishness. He's one of very few people on this earth that I consider to be a personal hero and idol.

But, Bob, you're really full of shit on this one. In truth, good rock and roll is everywhere these days-- everywhere except the charts. Even the advertisers know this. Every other car commercial it seems features some bitchin'-ass song playing in the background by some new(ish) bitchin'-ass artist. Hang onto your ego, Mr. Z, and spare me the sanctimony.