Monday, February 28, 2005

Oscars

I don't know. I guess I haven't watched the Oscars with any degree of attentiveness in many years. I used to enjoy the Billy Crystal shows in the '90s. And I remember watching Johnny when I was but a wee pup-- my dad laughing and saying things like, "He's very witty." But last night I was reminded about just how stupid these awards shows can be.

I thought Chris Rock was lousy. He had one really good line about Oprah being so rich that during the commercial break John Kerry proposed to her. His opening monologue bit about "real stars" or whatever nonsense was just out of place and unfunny; and I was happy that later in the show Sean Penn stood up for Jude Law.

But what really had me bothered was this: Why was Beyonce in every fucking song performance? Hey, I like her, but shit, there are a lot of talented singers out there. And who did they get to perform the romantic duet with her? Josh fucking Groban, perhaps the most untalented hack to reach this level of success since Tom Arnold was given a career. And romantic? Jesus! He makes Clay Aikens look as though he likes pussy.

Or maybe I'm just bitter 'cause I didn't win the office Oscar pool.