Saturday, September 16, 2006

I'm Turning Into My Dad

I fucking hate U2 too. They're impossible to like. But credit where its due: Achtung Baby! is an unqualified masterpiece. The funky, dance-rock riffs, the drums-as-drum-machine beats, the spit-polished production glint, and the cutting, astute lyrics about love and Judases. And I really like Loveless, an auto-erotic fugue in F demolished minor (Thanks, Booksie). My dad used to complain about Andrew Lloyd Weber and Michel Schonberg and the like by saying that you don't leave the theater whistling their tunes as you would a Cole Porter program, for instance. Well, I can't whistle, but after listening to Loveless, I invariably can't wait to put on some Ramones. All apologies to Kevin Shields for the tortured analogy that makes MBV out to be ALW.